Speedtest.net

Anything Goes. Be discrete please!

Speedtest.net

Postby Jmalone » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm using cable so sometimes its lower and higher depending on the time of day, whats everyone elses?

Jmalone
M.A.C.O.™

Re: Speedtest.net

Postby Jmalone » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:07 am

The first test was in the evening, this one is in the morning.

Jmalone
M.A.C.O.™

Founder
Founder

Postby Theduke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Thats the downside of cable, it goes up and down depends how many ppl are online. But im still very jealous of your connection lol. If only i could get 1/4 of what you get.

Morning and evening on your end doesnt seem to be a huge difference, actually you probly cant even tell, unless you download a movie or something. but when you are getting 20mm speeds, 3mb less doesnt hurt ya lol.

DSL on the other hand, it doesnt affect you with the amount of ppl online. Cable you sahre with your neighbors, DSL you dont. But if you are not close enough to the tower, DSL gets weak.

I wish i had DSL, the day will come when i do, or fibre OP lol

Postby Jmalone » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:04 pm

I used Century Link since 2007, well back then it was called embarq and they are DSL. I'm new to cable, I started using cox communications about 3 weeks ago because I moved to the beach and century link wasn't the top provider here and I would have had to wait almost a month for them to install. So for the price of 8-meg with century link, I could get 18+ meg with Cox so I switched.

As for losing speeds with DSL, Most of the time it happens when there is to many customers on the same card at the central hub. I can't tell you how many times I'v had to have them switch me to another card that had fewer customers with it's own back-bone. They kept telling me it was my system so I opened my command prompt and typed in tracert yahoo.com and copied that and sent it in a ticket. They saw where my connection left my router to their servers and all the way to yahoo and the moment it hit their end my MS went VERY high. Needless to say, I made them give me a credit on my bill for the past 2 months of crappy speeds LOL. I'm pretty happy with cable so far.
    Jmalone
M.A.C.O.™

Founder
Founder

Postby Theduke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:57 pm

yeah trace route always shows the proof. My internet company im with now had me send them one too, they also realized once it hit their towers, thats when i got the high pings.

i remember embarq when i was in florida, it was sprint. I had my internet through them and never had problems. Your the first i hear that had internet problems with DSL, like you are explaining to me. Unknown had something like you, he was told there was too many people, but the truth was he was at the end of the line. He was set to get more speeds than he could receive. and that caused alot of problems. He switched to cable too, i dont blame him. But when good DSL and good cable is available, i go with DSL.. Main reason here where we live, DSL has no cap, Cable does.

The problem with DSL is alot of the lines are old, DSL companies dont want to invest because all the money is going into Fibre OP. Which is the best thing to do in my opinion. But because the lines are old in some places, or get dampness, they tend to show the circuit is overloaded. but its not.

Try to look at DSL this way. A water hose is filled with water. Imagine if that hose needed air to survive. 50% air, 50% water. Then choke the hose, or fill it with water. No more air means it dies. (lol what a way to try and explain haha)

Same thing with DSL. If the line capacity is anything above 90%, it will hurt your internet. As crazy as it sounds, the length of your telephone cord, going from your wall jack to the modem, shouldn't be longer than 6ft. If it is it will cause your connection to be unstable. Trust me ive seen it many times lol. Also experienced it. It can also be the lines outside, the jack its connected to. If the jack has corrosion that will kill the connection.

If your DSL lines are in good shape, everything should run smooth, as long your modem is set to receive the speeds you can. Lets say your house can physically receive a maximum of 8 mb, they need to set your speed at a maximum of 6.5. that gives the line room to breath... Sounds weird i know lol

Here is my test. This is actually pretty good for my internet lol i was suprised.

Postby Jmalone » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:01 pm

That's what my problem was, My ISP didn't want to upgrade lines and equipment in my area. I was a customer for a long time and loved my DSL until 2011, it went down hill from there. Now that I think about it, ever since century link took over is when I noticed problems in speeds and billing issues. Embarq was always good to us and fixed issues fast, century link made me feel like they were doing me a favor by allowing me to be a customer and when I found out I could get over 18+ Meg for the same as century link was charging me for a 8-meg, well I felt as if I was paying for a steak and getting a burger lol.
    Jmalone
M.A.C.O.™

Founder
Founder

Postby Theduke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:26 pm

lol yeah i dont blame ya. Where in florida are you?

Postby Jmalone » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:12 am

Theduke wrote:lol yeah i dont blame ya. Where in florida are you?

Fort Walton Beach, Florida
    Jmalone
M.A.C.O.™

Founder
Founder

Postby Theduke » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:02 am

nice, i was in Ocala for about 3 years from 05 to 08. back in eastern canada now lol

Postby Jmalone » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 am

Theduke wrote:nice, i was in Ocala for about 3 years from 05 to 08. back in eastern canada now lol

Ocala is a long way from Canada lol. I'v never been to Canada. My Mom was born in Toronto Canada.
    Jmalone
M.A.C.O.™

Return to “Off Topic Descussion”